Friday, February 11, 2005

like hitting your head on a concrete wall ...

I've reached a temporary brick wall, so to speak, in the story I'm writing. It's a problem of deciding when to have an actual scene and when to just summarize like crazy. I know the theory is to reserve scene-making for those important moments in a character's life, but I also know that most of this story has been telling rather than showing (which makes me nervous, like I'm breaking some kind of huge taboo), and I wonder if all the telling has begun to get a little tedious.

I'm at the point of the story where my main character meets her first love interest. They're in a coffee shop, she realizes he isn't as difficult to talk to as she thought, and they begin to converse. But ... about what? I guess I need to figure this guy out a little first. I think I know her pretty well -- she's a self-centered person who thinks blending in with the crowd will lead to happiness, who begins in the transformative power of true love. She's condescending to her older sister, who she feels never accomplished anything with her life, though she herself hasn't really done much. Eventually she will begin to change the way she sees the world, but to get there ... I have to write this segment of her life.

Sometimes I hate writing. But I love it too intensely to stop.

Old movies watched recently: Suspicion (Joan Fontaine and Cary Grant), half of Now, Voyager (Bette Davis). I should finish the rest of Now, Voyager later tonight.

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home