Saturday, February 12, 2005

Valentine Anxiety

I don't remember the last time I celebrated Valetine's Day. I'm usually snide and cynical when the 14th rolls around, telling anyone who asks that "I don't believe in such a commercial holiday" or "I don't even like chocolate."

But this year I have a boyfriend and, well, the whole Valentine affair is making me nervous. If the holiday is a celebration of love, then we really don't need it -- we celebrate that every day we're together. At the same time, I do want to celebrate Valentine's Day. I think it's some kind of residual desire from high school, when all the other girls were going to Pizza Hut or the Yum Yum Tree with their lovers.

I asked Jason if he believed in Valentine's Day, and he said yes. I think he was amused by the way I asked him, like a shy little girl.

I love him. I guess that's all that matters, right? Forget Valentine's Day. I want ordinary days, just lounging around in my pajamas with him, kissing him, holding his hand as we walk down the street.