Saturday, February 12, 2005

This Life

Myra's writing prompt for class this week is to create something based on the last sentence in Joan's book: "...as if this were the only life I was going to have in the world, as if no others were waiting."

Which reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins' "Perfect."

"next time I promise we'll be
perfect
perfect
perfect strangers down the line
lovers out of time
memories unwind."

When I was teaching comp classes in Louisville and living in Nicholasville, I listened to the SP album a lot. I never saw the music video for "Perfect" (and I'm sure there was one), but I liked to imagine a grainy, black and white film of a man and woman, passing through a multitude of lives during a multitude of eras, their lives always intersecting in some bittersweet way.

I like this idea of reincarnation, but how to convey it in a writing prompt? I think you'd need a story collection to get anywhere, or perhaps a novel. And Myra's instructions were very open-ended -- we could do "anything," by which I guess she means multimedia.

The risk of writing a reincarnation story is it ending up being extremely hokey -- like that movie with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. "Dead Again," I think it was called.

Hmm. I have to give this a little more thought. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Old movies watched: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Auntie Mame (Rosalind Russell).