Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Am reproducing, word for word, a journal entry I scribbled Sunday night in my green notebook, a compository of school notes, quotes and the occasional journal blurt. I don't know -- I normally like to write my more personal entries on paper, away from Big Brother and the eternal roving public eye. But my blog seems kind of dull right now. Anyway, I feel like I'm due another entry, but I'm too entrenched in thesis stuff to think up anything.

4.10.05

A mixed-feelings kind of day. It started badly, with nightmares about zombies and waking to an empty bed, and really disgusting hair -- Easter green at the roots, dirty yellow-brown everywhere else. My second worse hair experience of all time. I went to Eckerd's before even brushing my teeth and bought a very expensive hair-dying kit that promised a nicely understated shade of brown. Only the neon green must have interfered, because instead I ended up with a head full of oranges and reds. A better hair color(s), but better still on an art canvas than on my head. I am still adjusting.

Jason I went to Soho to get Tribecca Film Festival tickets (we're going to see a German re-adaptation of Snow White), but it turns out tickets aren't being sold until tomorrow at noon. Someone fucked up with the info at the front of the festival pamphlet. Soho was very crowded -- lots of tourists and trendy shoppers, all the women slicker and better dressed than me, in my furry pink bathrobe jacket and birdhouse button I've been so proud of.

Went to the Central Park Zoo, which was fun. It's spring, so a lot of the animals (turtles, sea otters) were humping. We especially liked the penguins -- J said it was the first time he'd ever seen one in person. I took a black and white picture of him that he'll use as the author pic for the chapbook.

Then Nina called and said that Carl the cat scratched his way out of her bedroom window screen and took off. She also found Rue outside on the window ledge, debating whether or not to join him. Collette has since located Carl, and brought him back inside, so we are still a 3-cat household. I am so glad Rue didn't escape. Just the idea that she almost did - that she was technically outside - makes me feel cold inside. I am in Astoria, but I want to be with Rue in Brooklyn, petting her sticky soft gray fur that she's been shedding in great big puffs.

The ongoing Rue versus Jason internal debate. I hate it.

I told Jason I would go feed the homeless with him tonight, but I started dreading it since dinner. It's a little scary, and some of the men leer. Anyway, Jason can pretty much read me like a book at this point, and pried out what was wrong with me (sometimes I hate being so transparent). He sent me back to Astoria, but instead of immediately getting on the N train, I went to H&M and loitered for half an hour. It made me feel very rotten, to slink out of feeding the homeless just to browse and contemplate clothes-shopping. I almost bought a bunch of things, none of which I can afford.

Took a shower and conditioned my poor sunburst hair. I do feel better, having washed the city grime off me. I think I will read Kim Adonizio's poetry, critique Emily Choate's stuff, start knitting something on J's grandmother's needles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home