Thursday, April 14, 2005

The poem I mentioned a few days ago:

for Jason

The Beginning

In the bar where we first
met, you were a giddy drunk.
Yelps of joy, then silence
as you pirate-winked your ale.
I watched you take long amber
swallows, half-swallowed yourself
in shadow and the neon
stutter of the Guinness sign,
thinking you charming and
perplexing: a satisfying enigma.

But I lied. That wasn't the first
meeting. The first time, there were
sun glints in your hair, the picnic table
warm splinters beneath my palm.
We spoke of school, Salo, sex and shit.
An unconventional first conversation.
I liked your sea-hazy eyes, your
easiness with strangers. That was all.
How could I have recognized you,
the heart of my heart, on that crisp
October day?

Recognition came later,
after the long sigh of winter,
after we both suffered a little more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home