Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Well, I am relatively caught up today. I picked up my graduation tickets and critiqued Sarah's story. Now I have an hour to do nothing before workshop. Well, not nothing. I have three places I need to call about possible apartments, and I want to start work on the YA novel I began before coming to Sarah Lawrence. I had written about 90 pages, decided that because the story was coming so easily to me it must be crap (extreme faulty logic at work), and kind of forgot about the entire thing. But it's not crap. It's not the most brilliant thing ever written, but as far as YA novels go, it's pretty damn good.

The girl who will take my room in Brooklyn is interested in moving in the middle of May. That would be great for me too -- except of course Jason and I would have to find a place by then. Our apartment search starts in earnest tonight, with two apartment viewings in two days. Hopefully we'll have a bit of good luck, find a place within the next couple of weeks, and then have the luxury to plan and pack and not act like we're chickens without our heads.

I'm writing this at the computer lab, and think that Aardvark is sitting at the help desk, handing out the writing card.

Let me explain. This year SLC began charging students 5 cents a page to print out work. The students enrolled in creative writing classes, however, get to print to free, provided they go to the help desk and present their student ID in exchange for the special writing card. They can then take the card to the printer and swipe hundreds of thousands of pages of work for free.

This process works extremely well in principle. But when the keeper of the writing card is a malevolent, stodgy man who has been telling everyone that I am "the root of all evil," it makes the process a little more difficult.

Do I wait until Aardvark goes to lunch, and the pleasant gay man (as opposed to the unpleasant gay man! Ha, I made an Aardvark joke) takes over help desk duties? Do I find someone else to ask for the writing card for me?

Good thing I'm graduating in a few weeks. All these Aardvark-related aggravations are probably giving me an ulcer.

On a lighter note, I still think a "root of all evil" comic would be really cute. Me and my evil sidekick Rue, plotting to take over the world ala Pinky and the Brain (only slightly more intellectual). I imagine that Rue would wear a little cape in the comic. Not red, of course. That's too Superman. Perhaps a nice light green to set off her eyes. I would of course insist that the cartoonist properly render the cute tufts of fur on Rue's paws.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home