Thursday, June 30, 2005

Hmm.

People's politics outside the SLC bubble are very interesting.

For example, I'm having more and more difficulty with my English Methods professor because he seems to have very fixed ideas about gender and politics. Not very receptive to listening to any other side.

There was also a disturbing conversation in Ed Psych this morning about teaching kids how to use standard English, aka "the language of power." Prickly. I'm finding that it's harder for me to keep my mouth shut, smile, repeat what the teacher wants us to say, and keep my own opinions to myself.

On the flip side, I'm now thorougly enthralled with Macs. When I have the money (if I ever have the money), I will own a Mac.

I also want to see a movie this week. I feel like I should see the new Herzog (especially since I quite enjoyed the last documentary), but my depleted energy levels are pulling me towards insipid movies like Madagascar. Or maybe even something even stupider, with a cast of pretty boys doing dumb things, and ending with the same contrived "let's cram this tired moral into the last ten minutes" conclusion that I've seen in at least fifty other films. Like, say, Wedding Crashers.

Maybe it's just advertising brainwashing. Every time I get on a subway or a bus, I see Owen Wilson's smiling face.

Ugh. I'm such a capitalist consumer.

Finished reading The Working Poor and started Atwood's Oryx and Crake. I don't feel like a semi well-balanced human if I don't read for fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home