Sunday, February 26, 2006

Dan Jackson's farewell party (aka the drone) was tonight. It's a sad, sad night. I've never been in New York without knowing Dan, or in my earliest Sarah Lawrence days, knowing of Dan (there was a student reading involving Dan's "I" piece. If I remember correctly, it was interactive). He's the person that Jason and I hang out with the most. So needless to say, we're dismayed to see him go.
The droning was very nice, however. There were guitars and synthesizers and bells and feedback from cell phones. I kind of wish Jason had brought his guitar and that I'd had my violin (dreaming its endless dream under my bed in Kentucky). But it was still good. Soothing, when it wasn't jarring.
It was good for Dave to show up, too. He told Jason earlier that he didn't have the train fare from Connecticut, so it was a pleasant surprise to see him standing there in Dan's living room. When we left (we had to go early, Jason was kinda tipsy), he seemed to be having a good time. Making new friends. Eating cheese.
This is all very sad. It feels like there's a version of our New York life is ending. Never again will we sit in Dan's living room and watch Herzog movies. Or meet him in Chinatown at that strange little bun bakery with the old men and decaying cat. Or aggravate him by spending too much time browsing at the Strand. Or - anything.
Is this what it means to grow up? Jason and I are working so much now, coming home just to go to bed a couple of hours later. Our lives were more carefree. We had more time to hang out and go places, do things that actually interested us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home