Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Salve of Brunch

I just returned from a very satisfying brunch at Maggie Brown's, a restaurant just around the corner from my apartment. From the outside it looks like a little hole in the wall (I don't even think there's a sign), but the inside is quite decadent. Pseudo-velvet walls, a humongous steer skull, chunky wooden booths, and a bar reminiscent of the days of Doc Holliday. And of course, the most important part: the food is good. I had an omelet with horseradish and chives, home fries, a particularly good spinach salad, and toast. The company (Jason and Nina) was also quite good.

Yesterday Jason and I went to the strange land of Ikea. It seemed almost fitting that we had to travel to another state (Jersey) to get there. We shared platters of salmon (crusted with black pepper and a strange, unidentifiable spice) and Swedish meatballs at the cafe, tested some couches, and wandered through the frenzy that is the downstairs housewares. I got a really nice blue lamp, a candle holder, and magnet strip, and Jason a set of picture frames, but the experience made us both very tired (and I think it scared Jason -- especially in the housewares section. "Oh no," he said at one point in quite a woeful tone, "I don't think we'll ever get out.") Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to go on a weekend afternoon, during a President's Day sale? Afterwards, on the free shuttle back to Manhattan, Jason and I likened the Ikea experience to attending a cult meeting. A little scary, a bit exhilarating.