Friday, March 04, 2005

Maybe I Spoke Too Soon

"I do not think one could conceive of a love more exclusive, more tender, or more pure than that I have for you. It is absolutely divorced from physical love -- sex -- now. I feel it is immortal. I am superstitious about it, I feel it is a thing which happens seldom. I suppose that everybody who falls in love feels this about their love, and that for them it is merely a platitude. But then when one falls in love it is all mixed up with physical desire, which is the most misleading of all human emotions, and most readily and convincingly wears the appearance of the real thing. This does not enter at all into my love for you. I simply feel that you are me and I am you -- what you meant by saying that you "became the lonely me" when we parted." -- Vita to Harold, pg 216

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home