Friday, April 15, 2005

Ended up just watching Buffy and knitting. Inexplicably began knitting a winter hat, light green and gray. I guess circular knitting is just more gratifying for me than straight needle knitting. I got stuck in Seasons 2 and 3 of Buffy: slightly curvy, high school Buffy, still trapped between those walls of Sunnydale High.

Went to sleep after two in the morning, and woke up at seven-thirty, to Nina leaving the apartment for work. Couldn't go back to sleep, so read an Alice Munro story, took a bath, read more of the Her Husband, the Ted Hughes/Sylvia Plath biography, ate breakfast, and put on a Sarah Harmer CD. I intend to work on my thesis today, but I think a poem might sneak out somewhere between short stories. The other day Jason asked me why I stopped writing poetry.
"After your thesis, you should start concentrating on poetry again," he said. It was one of the best compliments ever.

Why did I stop? Because I started out a poet, and as a freshman in college decided to take a fiction writing workshop, being a weaker fiction-writer. I never got out of the endless loops of fiction workshops, and somewhere along the line assumed I was inadequate as a poet -- I forced myself to stop writing poems, even tried to strain the poetic language out of my stories.

I thought it would be too late to return to poetry, but perhaps not. Perhaps there's enough room for both poetry and fiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home