Friday, April 22, 2005

Upon finishing Her Husband, I reach the same conclusion I had when beginning the book: As a person, a husband, a lover, Ted Hughes was an asshole. I'm not very familair with his poetry, so I can't make an assessment there. One of these days I will read Birthday Letters. I also want a copy of the new (or shall we say original?) Ariel.

I guess I can't forgive him for destroying a volume of Plath's journal, heavily editing/censoring her letters and other volumes of journals, "mis-placing" the other, and neglecting her other manuscripts and papers to the point that most of them were stolen from the disheveled, unprotected pile he left them in. And that's just his trespasses as executor of her estate.

Anyway. Today Jason and I are celebrating our one-year anniversary. We're going to Sylvia's for dinner (fried chicken and waffles, yay!), and I plan on wearing a dress or at least a skirt. I can't believe it's been a year. It doesn't seem that long at all.

Jason has been wonderful lately. On Wednesday night I was so depressed I wasn't even returning his phone calls (well, anyone's phone calls, really). He called Nina to check up on me, and when he finally got ahold of me on the phone, decided that he should take a cab (it was pretty late by that time) to my place. He was right, of course -- just seeing him made me feel better.

Lots of odds and ends to deal with. I want to apply for at least another job before meeting him at the bakery tonight. I have transcript requests to send off, a thesis to fine tune (one more week!!!!), cat dishes and cat litter boxes to clean and fill, a thinking assignment for Myra's class. I also need to go to the Internet Cafe, because Adobe Acrobat isn't loading correctly on my lap top -- I'm entering the second stage in the application process for the New York City Teaching Fellows, and need to download many, many forms before my interview session next weekend. Oh, and then there's A Tale of Two Sisters. For some reason (well, maybe 'cause I was dithering around on the internet, and then writing another short piece for my thesis) I couldn't get past the fifteen minutes of the movie. I kept on having to flip through the chapters to the beginning.

Also need to figure out how to remedy the window problem. My note to my housemates about keeping the window closed has seemed to have the opposite effect: almost every time I check, it's open at least three or four inches. It's like a goddamn invitation for robbers.

Argh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home