Sunday, April 02, 2006

Saw V for Vendetta last night. I came out of the theatre with mixed feelings, and apparently I wasn't the only one.

The people behind us on the escalator had this conversation:
"I couldn't believe there were only two fight scenes."
"I know. And they weren't even that good."
"Not like the Matrix. The last one was kinda --"
"Bloody. But not like, wow or anything."
"There was too much talking."
"All the characters did were talk."
I didn't have quite the same reaction. I did love the first Matrix when it came out. My brother and I rented it at Blockbuster, and then ended up re-renting it every Saturday for a month, before deciding that we both needed to buy our own copies. But I don't expect (or want) every Wachowski Brothers movie to be another Matrix.
I liked aspects of V for Vendetta very much. I love tales of dystopia, and the echoes of 1984. I liked the Inspector.
But the movie as a whole made me feel uncomfortable. I didn't understand certain key characters' motivations. Things that should have been made clear were "artistically" murky. I don't want to get any more specific than that, just in case there's someone reading my blog who hasn't seen the movie yet, and wants to.
I'm irrationally pleased that Silent Hill has been made into a movie. I always thought those video games would make great movies.
Tonight Jason and I finished printing out the last of our invites. Now we might actually have time to watch Thumbsucker with a bowl of popcorn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home