Sunday, February 20, 2005

Book Junkie

I just ordered an used copy of The Dogs of Babel from Amazon. I'm not sure why, when I have approximately 41 other books to read. But it was cheap and seems like an interesting book, and sometimes I get a little carried away on the Amazon website.

I also like getting mail outside of bills and clothes catalogs, and rarely get any unless I order something. That may also be a motivation.

I just hope The Dogs of Babel doesn't disappoint. The books with the most hype are often questionable. I hated The Cranberry Queen, though I read every word, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was much too gimmicky and grating. Nina just finished The TIme Traveler's Wife and described it as a watered-down version of Byatt's Possession. So The Dogs of Babel better at least be interesting.

In other news, Sandra Dee just died from kidney disease. This is particularly sad to me, because I recently discovered her films -- I think Gidget is charming, and When A Man Calls a fun movie.

1 Comments:

At 2:09 PM , Blogger Empress Girl said...

i think it was the ending i didn't like. the first half of the book was very engaging, but when he goes on the journey to find his mother, i wasn't buying it anymore. i think at that point, the style the book was written in become annoying too.

did you think it was an accurate portrayal of autism?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home