Monday, March 07, 2005

No Snappy Title Today

So I finished Vita and Harold on the N train to Brooklyn this morning. It was very enjoyable, though I remain troubled about the couple's racism (for example: Nigel refers to himself in an earlier letter (pre-WW2) as a British Hitlerite). When I was younger and more idealistic, knowing that a writer was a bigot would be enough to pretend myself from reading his/her work. Now I feel much more ambiguous. How much of a product of their culture were V and H? And at what point does it become inexcusable, less of a societal issue and more of a personal one?

I went to Target after the subway ride and bought:

A Belgium waffle iron for $10
shampoo
a mega-pack of wet cat food
a snappy black and white zip-up hoodie
a black underwire bra
a copy of A Letter to Three Wives, which, by the way, is quite good

Now I'm critiquing Sarah's story and watching a Biography segment on Linda Darnell. I should be writing, or at least revising some part of my thesis, but I can't bring myself to today. I miss Jason (we had a love-ly morning together), and I don't feel like going to work tomorrow morning.

Oh, and I started Vita's No Signposts in the Sea. It's very good, but the following description made me feel quite ill:

"And the three giant Jewesses who lean so close, gossiping, that it looks as though their noses must get hook together" (9).

Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home