Monday, March 14, 2005

Buffy-verse

It's almost 9:00 in the evening, and I should be working dilligently on my thesis, but instead am playing Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds. I can't stop playing until I kill Adam, cyborg villain of Season Four, and am able to save my progress. The thing is, Adam keeps killing me. This has become a very frustrating cycle.

That's another thing I forgot to mention about Atkinson's Not the End of the World. In addition to recurring characters popping up in surprising ways, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was mentioned in at least four different stories. Part of me was delighted, because I love Buffy, and applaud the insertion of Buffy into any zany short story. On the other hand, I feel Atkinson used Buffy as a kind of lame short hand for dealing with the tragic events in her characters' lives. For example, at the end of one story, a main character reflects that Buffy was brought back from the dead, only to have to pay the bills, raise her younger sister, and face all the bleak responsibilities of the world. The Buffy plotline mirrors the character's own circumstances. It seemed awfully convenient.

Or I may have it all wrong. Maybe Atkinson was making a profound statement about humanity, and how much easier it is to relate to characters on the television screen than to real people in our own lives. I'd like to think this was the case, but I remain sceptical.

Oh well. I still really love Atkinson's books. They have all been consistently surprising and wonderful.

Killed again by Adam! I wish my brother were nearby, so he could beat the level for me and I could get on with the thesis business.

Leftover stir fry for dinner tonight, with tofu and rice and baby corn. Kind of bland -- I think I should have used more soy sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home