Monday, March 14, 2005

Spring

It's spring break, and although snow is still on the ground here in Bronxville, I can feel spring approaching. Good. I'm sick of death of my now less-than-white puffy winter coat, of always misplacing my gloves and being bored of my scarves. I think a little sun will be a welcome variation.

I'm on my lunch break at the Registrar's (Marion has already gone home for the day, and left me with work for perhaps another hour and a half -- so I'm wondering how I will spend the rest of my afternoon, what ridiculous chores I'll invent for myself to still appear like I'm working), checking e-mail, avoiding unsavory library work staff, printing out more revisions of my thesis.

Just finished Kate Atkinson's short story collection, Not The End of the World. It's quirky and fun to read (I especially liked "Temporal Anomaly," a story about a woman who dies in a car accident, spends six months in limbo at home, and then is suddenly, mysteriously given her life back ... only to have snatched away again), but Atkinson is much more adept at novel-writing. I'd really like to re-read Emotionally Weird and Behind the Scenes at the Museum .

At Posman Books this morning, I impulsively purchased two books found in the mystery section: Patricia Highsmith's The Price of Salt and another book called The Lake of Dead Languages. I've never been one for mystery novels. When I was in high school, in an idle reading phase (a short-lived one, by the way), I read all these books about a man and his cat who went around solving murder cases. It was like reading cotton candy -- amusing, but not very filling. I hope these mystery novels are better choices than the man-cat detectives. Highsmith's Ripley books were definitely more literary than the run-of-the-mill mystery novel, and Nina recommended The Price of Salt. I read a positive review for The Lake of Dead Languages on Amazon.com about a year ago, and was swayed by the comparison of it to Donna Tartt's Secret History on the book jacket (another book I'd like to re-read in the future). Also, I just get impulsive in bookstores.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home