Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Dream Life

I woke up late this morning with a partially shaped novel in the form of a dream. There was the introduction of a gun, a highly dysfunctional family, and all sorts of squelchy subject matter. I stayed in bed for an extra forty-five minutes, jotting everything down.

I know this potential novel has evolved from my growing irritation/anger/bitterness toward Aardvark, that so un-charming
asshole in all of our lives. There are fable-like qualities to the plot line, and an oppressive atmosphere reminiscent of Jeffrey Eugenide's Virgin Suicides and Kelly Braffet's Josie and Jack.

So perhaps there's an upside to knowing Aardvark, after all. We'll see if this novel idea can be nurtured into an actual first draft
. I have so many partially formed novels lying around in unfinished states (first drafts, handfuls of chapters, character sketches. Sometimes I feel like I am cultivating a novel graveyard).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home