Saturday, March 19, 2005

It's All About the Food

My two new obsessions? Cream puffs at Beard Papa, with flaky crust and a light filling that tastes more like whipped cream than heavy custard. I like that the place is called Beard Papa, such a dirty dirty name for a cafe. I don't think it's any accident that the sign explaining the function of the cream-filling machine also (albeit implicitly) has smutty connotations. And I appreciate the daily specials. In the case that I ever tire of a vanilla filling, I can try the more exotic offerings.

And then there are the vegetable dumplings at Dumpling Man. Finely chopped shitake mushrooms and other yummy, less identifiable veggies/tofu products, seared or steamed in a green dumpling, served with a soy-like sauce.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I've lost
any love for the pumpkin cupcakes at the Lower East Side bakery, or for Punjabi's cheap and deliriously good vegetarian fare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home