Sunday, April 09, 2006


As of this morning, Jason and I are the proud owners of a used dark green Ford Windstar minivan. Yes, a minivan. We can't drive it yet, because we need to get new plates and registration, etc. etc. But we paid for it. It's parked half a block from our apartment, green and formidable. Ours.

It's strange to own a car in New York City. I guess this is concrete proof that we're really planning on leaving. In the meantime, I plan on using the car to go to Brooklyn and Target and the grocery store when we've bought too many paper towels or whatnot.

The weekend was good but whirlwind. We saw Neko Case (see pic of Neko Case shaking her hands above) on Friday at Webster Hall. She was incredible, as was the venue (aquarium bars and ornate decoration everywhere). I wasn't so impressed with the guy in front of me though -- he kept on stretching his ass out like an oversized ballerina, and hitting me with it. Halfway through the concert, Jason and I switched places, and Jason whacked him every time he protruded. Twice.

I finally found a dress I like on Saturday -- at Century 21, a place I never want to visit again. But I guess the half an hour wait for the fitting rooms was worth it. Everyone else waiting in line with me had shopping carts filled with clothes. It was madness. Next step in the wedding preparations: finding a soft faux-fur jacket to wear with the dress, and a pair of stunning shoes. Oh, and probably some decent pantyhose -- not the kind I usually buy at Target for 99 cents.

Afterwards Jason and I wandered around the East Village. We looked at a small boutique selling overpriced clothes and Hello Kitty stationary, but they also had ugly box watches that say the time in Japanese. We went into M to M and thought about buying a pound of kimchee and mango ice cream mochi, but decided they were both impractical. We had a beer with Suzanne and Ero at the Continental, which has the most intimidating bathrooms in NYC. And then dinner with Jonathan at Veselka. It was vegetarian borscht night, yay! Jason and I were both slightly drunk from the Continental. I kept on mentioning the Japanese watch and giggling, and asking everyone what a lime rickey was. Lime juice and cherry syrup with soda water -- not nearly as exciting as I thought it might be.

And today, the buying of minivans. But afterwards Jason and I mellowed out. We saw Thumbsucker, which didn't resound with me as deeply as it would've, had I watched it when I was nineteen. We braved the grocery store for Iams wet cat food and clam juice. I made a pot of fish stew, a new recipe, before realizing that I don't like fish stew. So now I'm making Shepherd's pie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home