Monday, February 28, 2005

Retelling Fairy Tales

I started reading Kelly Braffet's Josie and Jack, to supplement Tolstoy's Anna Karenina (which is a great feast of a book, but should be savored and not rushed through, as is my tendency). I may also start reading Virginia Woolf's Moments of Being, but that's just an aside. Josie and Jack is described on the book jacket as a "contemporary Hansel and Gretel story (that) is compulsively readable and hugely entertaining." I've only read 30 pages or so, and already I'm struck by the desolate setting of this huge dessicated house, and brother and sister left mostly to their own devices. And it's written by a SLC alum, too! I always feel heartened when I pick up a book and realize that it was written by alums, whether undergraduate or from the MFA program. Maybe these writing workshops will help, afer all ... maybe that great dream of being published isn't so unattainable after all.

It's begun to snow. I wonder if we'll really get a foot of snow. Jason called a little while ago, because Grand Street Settlement cancelled their afterschool program. I'd come to Astoria right away, but I'm waiting for my Fresh Direct order. Anyway, it's kind of nice to sit on my bed, listening to Tori's new album, writing more of a new story, and starting a new "visionary" story.

The idea of "visionary" writing has stayed with me since Myra's workshop. Apparently Emily's workshop submission is visionary. I like her stories a lot, but why are they visionary? Because they aren't personal and realistic? I feel a little hurt, because all of my writing is personal and realistic, and damnit, I wanna be a visionary too. I'd love to write like Aimee Bender or Kelly Link -- weird, surrealistic stories that make you feel off-kilter and thoughtful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home